I made this recipe last year and it was so good I’m doing it again its from the Mary Berry Christmas book, I didn’t add the alcohol but added it to a bowl full of mincemeat so I could do both as not everyone likes boozy mince pies, I do though 🙂
- 175g currants
- 175g raisins
- 175g sultanas
- 175g dried cranberries
- 100g mixed peel
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 125g butter, cut into cubes
- 50g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 200ml brandy, rum or sherry
Makes 4 x 370g jars
- Measure all of the ingredients except the alcohol into a large pan. Heat gently, allowing the butter to melt, then simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Allow the mixture to cool completely then stir in the brandy, rum or sherry.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jam jars, seal tightly, label and store in a cool place.
TIP – I no longer use cellophane tops or wax paper. I simply use clean sterilised screw-top jars saved from bought marmalade or jam.
PREPARING AHEAD – Make the mincemeat up to six months ahead and store in a cool place. It’s not necessary to freeze mincemeat as it stores so well.
I know if you make it you will love it to so make sure if you make it to tag me in your posts and use my #clairescosylittlechristmas