I thought I would share with you a favourite chocolate cake this is from the lovely Mary Berry Favourite Book I love this because it has Chocolate horlicks and malteasers two of my favourites.
I do hope you try it and if you do please leave a comment on what you think.
Mary Berry’s malted chocolate cake
- 30 g 1oz malted chocolate drink powder
- 30 g 1oz cocoa powder
- 225 g 8oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225 g 8oz caster sugar
- 225 g 8oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- For the icing
- 3 tbsp malted chocolate drink powder
- 1½ tbsp hot milk
- 125 g 4½oz butter, softened
- 250 g 9oz icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 50 g 2oz dark chocolate (at least
- 50 per cent cocoa solids) melted
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- About 20 Maltesers to decorate
- 1 You will need two 20cm (8in) round sandwich tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4 and grease the tins with butter and line the bases with baking paper.
- 2 Measure the malted chocolate drink powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl, pour over 2 tablespoons of water and mix to a paste. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until smooth.
- 3 Divide evenly between the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes. Set aside in the tins to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4 To make the icing, measure the malted chocolate drink powder into a bowl, add the hot milk and mix until smooth. Add the butter, icing sugar and melted chocolate and mix again until smooth, then add the boiling water to give a gloss to the icing.
- 5 Place one cake on a plate and spread over half the icing. Sandwich with the other cake and spread (or pipe) the remaining icing on top, using the tip of a rounded palette knife to create a swirled effect from the centre to the edge of the cake. Arrange the Maltesers over the top and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Love Claire Xx