Firstly this is not my recipe but the queen of baking Mary Berry recipe I have been making this ice cream for the past 2 years and really love it once you have the basics sorted you can add whatever you like.
I have made many versions over the years.
- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 300ml/½pint double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g/3½oz stem ginger, chopped, plus 4 tbsp syrup from the jar
Coffee and brandy flavour
- 2-3 tbsp coffee essence
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 150ml/5fl oz sieved raspberry purée (you could also use strawberry)
Rum and raisin flavour
- 100g/3½oz raisins soaked in 4 tbsp rum for 2 hours
- 100g melted dark or milk chocolate
- x1 Terry’s chocolate orange melted
- x1 Terry’s chocolate Orange broken up and stirred into the mixture before freezing
Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
Slowly whisk in the caster sugar, then continue to whisk until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed.
Fold the cream, egg yolks, and your chosen flavouring (see ingredients list) into the meringue mixture until well combined.
Pour into a plastic container and freeze for at least two hours.
Not the best Christmas photo but my Ice cream does not stay around long enough to get a photo. lol