Ive had this book since 2012 Mary berry Baking bible and I have never made her walnut tea bread before I dont know why but sometimes when you flick through a book you only see some recipes or some stick out at times and others don’t.
Well Ive made it Walnut Teabread It was really easy and if you don’t like walnuts dont add them just have it without.
I hope you enjoy this really simple but yummy tea bread.
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 175 g golden syrup
- 200 ml milk
- 50 g sultanas
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line 900g/2lb loaf tin with a greaseproof paper liner (these are great, so much quicker than lining tins with greaseproof paper).
- Put sugar, golden syrup, milk and sultanas into a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Put to one side to cool.
- Put flour, baking powder and walnuts into into a mixing bowl. Add the cooled syrup mixture along with the beaten egg and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake in oven for 50-60 mins (should be firm to the touch and skewer comes out clean). Cover with foil towards the end of cooking to make sure the top doesn’t brown too much.
- Leave to cool for 10mins in tin before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
- Serve buttered.