Boxing Day chutney
Right, I know my other Christmas chutney is on here but this is another one I have found from the Kirstie Allsopp’s Real Kitchen Book Its great for hampers and you don’t have to double it up to get loads.
I didn’t quite have enough Apricots as stated so I only used 500g didn’t seem to change it too much.
This is a lovely chutney for gift hampers it makes a good 11-12 jars depending on size
- You will need
- 900g onions sliced
- 900g cooking apples chopped
- 300g cranberries
- 1.2 liters cider vinegar
- 50g fresh root ginger(before pealing) finely diced
- 1tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 900g naturally dried apricots chopped
- 175g pitted dates chopped
- 450g raisins
- Juice of 8 oranges/ 600 ml orange juice
- 900g white sugar.
- Let's begin
- Place all the first 8 ingredients in a very large saucepan gently bring to the boil.
- Then simmer for around 5 minutes just until the onions go transparent, the cranberries start to pop. You don’t want to lose all texture, Remember to stir.
- In a separate bowl mix the dried fruit and pour over the orange juice. Stir well. The mixture should absorb all the orange juice in approx 20 minutes
- Add the marinated fruit to the saucepan with the sugar.
- Stir well and bring back to boiling point, then simmer gently (turn the heat down) giving it a good stir every 10 minutes and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours. (keep an eye that it doesn't stick to the bottom if it does turn the heat down) After the first hour, the chutney will have reduced down considerably. The chutney is ready when you can draw a spoon through the middle and no excess liquid remains.
- Meanwhile, sterilise 10 - 12 jars and lids and keep them warm.
- Label the chutney into the jars, filling them near the top as possible cover with the wax discs and lids, tightening them only partially. When the chutney is cold you can then tighten them completely.
- Label them and store for a good month before eating.
- Unopened jars can be kept for a year.
© 2020 Copyright claires cosy little Homestead