How are we all?
We all have those days where we dont know what to eat, cook or a little low on money we have to try and make something out of nothing,
I think we should all go back in time and live with rations and that way I think we would appreciate food more these days, thats just my thoughts, I know it would not work well in this day and age but just for a week would be quiet interesting.
I have come up with some of my go to recipes that I often make if im having a low day and really dont feel like cooking or I want an easy day with minimal fuss.
Ok we all have that cupboard (I would love a walk in pantry but im not that fortunate so I have to make do with my big cupboard) I will keep dreaming. 🙂
I always have these in my cupboard without fail.
- Tin tomatoes (it does not matter what brand whatever you can afford)
- Bake beans and the same as above whatever you can afford
- Tomato purree
- Dried herbs and spices
- Pasta and rice
- stock cubes or pots
- Tuna and other caned fish
- worcstershire sauce
- salt and pepper
That is just a basic example im sure we have got a lot more in our cupboards which is fine, I thought I would just keep it simple.
The reason why I have tinned tuna in mine is, Because its great for a quick meal with jacket potatoes or for pack ups if there is nothing else.
All the other items are things we use weekly.
Now other items you will more than likely have knocking about the kitchen,
- Baking powder
- Sugar White and brown
- bread (always keep a spare loaf in the freezer)
Now again you might have more items or less it does not matter.
Now we have established my basics I will now list a few ideas below in what I make with mine.
I love tinned tomatoes as I can make pretty much anything with these
Tomato Sauce (print)
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic chopped finely
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place a medium saucepan on the hob with some oil and add your onion stir till they are just starting to soften.
- Add your garlic, and stir altogether for a few minutes
- Pour in your tomatoes and give it all a good stir.
- Add salt and pepper
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
There you have a very basic tomato sauce, which you can then jazz up with soime fresh herbs, or add some spices, you can play with some ideas to suit your family.
This sauce goes really well with Spagetti and bacon, or just a cheesy tomato pasta.
Another idea keeping with the tomaoes
Tomato Soup (Print
- 1 onion chopped
- a knob of butter
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Half a teaspoon af brown sugar (bring out the tomato flavour)
- Heat the butter in a medium pan and add the onions till soft add the tomatoes along with a good pinch of salt and Pepper and the sugar.
- Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 mins
- blitz with hand held blender.
There you have a basic soup again you can add all sorts to this get creative and use up anything you have around. Red peppers are a good one for going with this just add them with the onions to give them time to go soft.
Bake beans you either love them or hate them in my eyes I love them on toast as thats great for lunch or even breakfast.
They can go in chilli con carne yes I always add them to mine.
These are a great staple to your diet and not overly expensive, and kids usually love them so its a win win.
Now this is one staple everyone in every household will more than likely have. As a kid my gran would always say you can make many dishes with potatoes learn and you will never starve.
Here is a favourite of my child hood
Cheesy Onion Mash (I cant find a more elegant name)(Print)
- 500g potatoes or enough for your family
- a good knob of butter
- 150g grated cheese
- 1 onion diced finely
- salt and pepper
- Place your potatoes into a saucepan and bring to the boil and cook till you can place a knife into them (you know how to cook potatoes )
- Whilst they are cooking in a seprate pan heat a little oil and add the onions and cook until soft.
- Grate the cheese and plate to one side.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, drain and mash with the butter and a good splash of milk.
- Now add the onions along with the cheese and mix altogether.
- Season with salt and pepper
There you have Cheesy Onion Mash we always had ours with sausages and you guessed it bake beans lol.
These are just a few ideas to what I do and to what works for me. There is nothing fancy just with a good store cupboard you can really make something out of what you think is nothing.
And all these recipes ive just shared with you will now be printable for you. I will also add them into the family meals tab on the main page in the store cupboard recipes where when I make anymore I will add them there for you all.
I hope you have found this post useful, if you have any of your own store cupboard recipes I would love to see them so do message me.
Until next time